29 August2 days, 09:30 AM - 04:00 PM
One of the key objectives of the Junior Cycle is to place the student at the centre of the teaching and learning by developing more active and collaborative learning opportunities for students and thus creating a balance between the development of subject knowledge, thinking abilities and the development of key life skills.
This 100-hour short course programme aims to embed a culture of learning and study at Junior Cycle. It assists students understand themselves better as learners, be more organised and confident as learners and gives them a proven study system and approach to learning.
Learning to Learn is a whole school approach to embedding best learning practice.
The programme is designed to be delivered by subject teachers, guidance counsellors and members of the pastoral and student support teams. And contributes to the 400 hours’ well-being allocation at Junior Cycle.
Elements of the Programme
- 2-day train-the- trainer programme for teachers
- Teacher resource manual
- Student workbook
Content of the Programme
The Learning to Learn programme is learner centred and experiential, with relevant practical exercises from across the range of Junior Cycle subjects.
The programme is divided into three key sections reflecting the student’s progress through the Junior Cycle, these being:
- Transitioning and Learning
- Learning and Study
- Learning and Assessment
Each lesson and section connects with one or more of the indicators of well-being for young people.
In addition, teachers are introduced to:
- Methodologies which promote greater collaborative learning opportunities for students.
- Ideas and approaches which teachers may wish to include in their own subject area.
Following the 2-day train-the- trainer programme, teachers:
- Feel confident and equipped to deliver a learning and study skills programme to Junior Cycle students.
- Are more aware of the changing demands on students and teachers in relation to learning and assessment at Junior Cycle.
- Are able to provide a range of learning experiences for their students in line with the identified guiding principles and key skills of the Junior Cycle.
|Audience||Teachers interested in delivering a Learning to Learn Programme to Junior Cycle students.|
|Trainer||Feidhlm Ó Seasnáin|
|Duration||2-days, 9am - 4pm|
|Dates & Venues||29th - 30th August 2019 | City West Hotel, Saggart, Co. Dublin|